Responsibilities under the legislation include:
- Responding to formal requests submitted under RTIPPA
- Evaluating and providing direction to all Town departments regarding informal requests to enhance public access while ensuring that the confidentiality provisions of the Act are met
- Ensuring personal information held by the Town is only exchanged with, collected from or disclosed to authorized individuals and/or institutions in accordance with RTIPPA.
- Evaluating and undertaking periodic reviews of the Town’s programs and technologies to ensure that they meet statutory requirements
- Providing information about RTIPPA to Town employees to ensure that employees are informed about the requirements of the Act
- Ensuring that processes are in place for efficient and prompt disposal of information
- Providing ongoing research on decisions of Information Access and Privacy Commissioner and how such decisions affect the corporation
- Reviewing the development of forms, surveys and questionnaires to ensure that they include statutory authority for the collection of the personal information, the purpose for which the information will be used and a contact for the client.
The Town of Oromocto Council has delegated to the CAO/Town Clerk the powers and duties associated with the “head” under the Right to Information and Protection of Privacy Act (RTIPPA). Day-to-day services are administered under the RTIPP Coordinator (Assistant Town Clerk) situated at 4 Doyle Drive, Oromocto, NB E2V 2V3. Staff in each department assists the RTIPP Coordinator with the provision of these services.